you going to the gym? If you’re heading for an afternoon run or an intense
workout, choosing the right nutrients will help fuel your exercise
regimen. A proper snack or meal is
needed before and during exercise to power your workout, while nutrients after
exercise will help with muscle recovery.
are some tips on managing a healthy nutrition plan when working out.
Eating before exercise improves your activity performance.
a snack or meal rich in carbohydrates with a small amount of protein to fuel
your muscles 3-4 hours before exercise. A meal low in fat and fiber is best for
- Peanut butter + honey + toast
- Low fat Labneh or white cheese + Arabic bread +
- 1 cup low fat yogurt + mixed fruits + granola
- Turkey and cheese sandwich + banana
- 1 boiled egg + toast + fruit
before your workout (30-60 min pre-exercise), boost your energy with one piece
of fruit or a 100 calorie granola bar!
If your workout lasts for more than an hour, carbohydrates
during exercise are important to maintain sugar levels and improve performance.
Fluids are needed to replace sweat loss and avoid dehydration.
- 1 banana
- ½ toast with jam or honey
- Small granola bar
- Sports drinks with carbohydrate and electrolytes*
- Fluid: water or sports drinks
long exercises the right mixture of fluids, carbohydrates and electrolytes is
needed. However, too much carbohydrates and too little fluid can lead to
cramping and discomfort.
Sports drinks are high in sugar, which can lead to stomach discomfort and affect weight loss, so moderation is key!
Including carbohydrates after exercise is important to replace
your glycogen stores that were used to fuel your workout. Protein provides the
needed amino acids for muscle recovery. Replace any fluid and electrolyte losses
by drinking enough water. Eat a snack or meal 15-60 minutes after your workout
to begin nutrition recovery.
- Fruit and yogurt smoothie
- Sports drink containing carbohydrate and
electrolytes + sports bar
- Low fat chocolate milk + banana + peanut butter +
- Low fat labneh sandwich + fruit
- 3-4 slices of low fat white cheese + toast + fruit
it’s close to meal time (breakfast, lunch or dinner), skip the post workout
snack and have an adequate balanced meal such as:
- Whole wheat bread with turkey and cheese + bowl
of mixed salad
- Grilled chicken + brown rice + avocado
- Lean steak grilled or stir-fried + grilled
vegetables + baked potato
- 2 boiled eggs + whole wheat bread + bowl of mixed salad
- Tuna salad (1 can tuna in water) + whole wheat toast