Oats have been getting a lot of hype lately, they’re part of every smoothie bowl, energy bite, and snack!
I’m here to tell you that they are more than just hype! They are good for you containing many health benefits! Oats when eaten as a whole grain contain healthy carbohydrates filled with fibers. These fibers have many benefits to your health:
- Help maintain blood sugar levels: fiber helps slow down the release of sugar in carbohydrate foods maintained leveled blood sugar as compared to huge spikes followed by a crash when eating simple carbohydrates (white rice, bread pasta) and sugar rich items.
- Help keep you full for longer due to its effect on digestion
- Helps regulate blood cholesterol levels by helping clear out cholesterol from the body
- Rich sources of certain vitamins and minerals: Phosphorous, Magnesium, Thiamin(vitamin B1), zinc, and manganese.
Choose oats when possible as a source of healthy carbs, here are some ideas:
- Choose oat bread instead of white bread
- Add oats into your breakfast oatmeal, yogurt parfait or smoothie
- Bake using oats such as oat chocolate chip cookies (replace flour with oats) or energy bites
- Add oats into your trail mix (oats, raw nuts, dried fruits)